SMART Edcuation are recruiting for a qualified and experienced Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) to work full time within a secondary school in Birmingham on an interim basis. This is initially an interim post till Christmas 2020 with the prospect of becoming a permanent role for the right candidate.
Strategic development of the school's Special Educational Needs (SEN) provision and oversight of the day-to-day operation of that policy with the aim of raising SEN pupil achievement
Areas of responsibility and key tasks:
• Put provision in place to ensure that progress of pupils with SEN improves relative to
• those without SEN.
• Ensure that the school carries out its statutory responsibilities regarding all students with
• a Statement of Special Educational Needs.
• Support all staff in understanding the needs of SEN pupils.
• Support departmental developments of SEN provision.
• Monitor progress towards targets for pupils with SEN.
• Analyse and interpret relevant school, local and national data.
• Liaise with staff, parents, external agencies and other schools to co-ordinate their contribution, provide maximum support and ensure continuity of provision.
Teaching and Learning:
• Support the identification of and disseminate the most effective teaching approaches for individual pupils with SEN.
• Work with staff to develop effective ways of bridging barriers to learning through:
• Part time Teaching in specialist subject/ cover teaching will be required alongside SENCO responsibility.
assessment of needs
monitoring of teaching quality and pupil achievement
target setting - IEPs, or Provision Maps, PSP, CAF
keeping accurate records.
• Collect and interpret specialist assessment data to inform practice.
• Undertake day-to-day co-ordination of SEN pupils' provisions through close liaison with staff, parents and external agencies.
• Work with head teachers, teachers, key stage co-ordinators and pastoral staff to ensure all pupils learning is of equal importance and that there are high and realistic expectations of pupils.
Leading and managing:
• provide professional guidance to staff to secure good teaching for SEN pupils, through both written guidance and meetings;
• lead on the performance management process for SEN teachers and Support Assistants;
• advise on and contribute to the professional development of staff, including whole school
INSET provision; provide regular information to the head teacher and governing body on the evaluation of SEN provision.
Effective deployment of staff and resources:
• advise the head teacher and governing body of priorities for deployment of staff, and utilise
resources with maximum efficiency;
• maintain and develop resources, co-ordinate their deployment and monitor their
effectiveness in meeting the objectives of school and SEN policies;
• work with external agencies to maximise resources made available.
Do you have the desire to create a safe and nurturing learning experience for all children?
• Have you got the drive, creativity and personality to make a difference for our children?
• Could you be the exceptional SENCo we are looking for to join our innovative learning community?
The ideal candidate will:
• Have previous experience or have an exceptional understanding of teaching in the primary phase
• Have SEN experience and/or the National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordination
• Have an excellent understanding of the SEN code of practice
• Have both an excellent understanding of pupil progress and a willingness to embrace change
• Be open to new approaches to learning and teaching
• Be an excellent team player
* Whilst initially this will be a one-year fixed term position, we envisage that this role will become permanent. *
YOU MUST HAVE SENCO QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Salary: Main Pay Scale
Hours: Mon - Fri full time
Interview Dates: ASAP
Start Date: ASAP
Contact: Fran Sandiford
Location: Birmingham | Salary: | Job type: Permanent/Contract | Posted: 01/07/2020